Welcome to Lafayette Lodge #16 A.F. & A.M.
A Brief History of Lafayette Lodge:
It is not known why the Lodge was named for our distinguished Brother Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, the Marquis De Lafayette, but he was certainly deserving of the honor as a token of respect for the service he gave to the American cause throughout the Revolutionary War.
The Lodge was first opened on March 28th, 1858 under special dispensation until October 18th, 1859 when the Grand Lodge of Kansas granted its Charter.
The Lodge was rededicated by The Most Worshipful Roy T. Sullivan, Jr., Grand Master of Masons in Kansas, on October 18th, 2009.
Lafayette was one of a dozen Lodges charted on the 18th of October, 1859, four years before the founding of Kansas State University (1863).
As best we can tell from surviving records, the Lodge met:
- for the first time, Under Dispensation, at the home of Robert Wilson on March 24th, 1858;
- occasionally at the bachelor home of Washington Marlatt at 210 Poyntz Avenue;
- at the Miller Building, 305 Poyntz Avenue;
- the IOOF building at 400 Poyntz from 1867 to 1872;
- the Purcell building at 301 Poyntz, (1883 ?);
- the Grange building, 431 Poyntz, from 1883 to 1922,
- at 530 Poyntz in the summer of 1922 which was to be a permanent home;
- following the loss of the above building during the Depression (1938 - 1950) at the Seaton building 114 N. 4th;
- at the Woodman Hall at 309 Poyntz for 1951 - 52;
- at our current location 322=A Houston Street since 1952!
The members of Lafayette Lodge #16 have a long history of benevolent support of such agencies and groups that include the American Scouting programs, local Habitat for Humanity, Boys/Girls Club, Cancer Screening programs, and others.